What is Game Script?
Game Script is a Game Manager feature that allows organizers to schedule events to take place automatically. You can use Game Script to change the visibility and availability of missions by updating their mission states, or schedule pre-written messages to be sent to all participants at a certain time.
Game Script automations can currently trigger one of the following events:
- Set a mission’s status to Available.
- Set a mission’s status to Expired.
- Send a message to All Participants.
Accessing Game Script
The first step to utilizing Game Script is to create a new automation, which can be done in one of two ways:
- From the button at the top of the page of the Game Script tab in the Game Manager. If you are creating an automation this way in order to alter mission states, you need to already have the missions you wish to alter added to your mission list.
- From the Advanced Settings menu of each mission added to your mission list. You can use this method to include missions into new or existing automations.
Creating a New Automation
Whether you access the Add Automation window from the Game Script tab or from an individual mission in the Mission List, the Overview tab will ask you for further instructions:
- We suggest naming your automation in a way that reminds you of what and when events are triggering. This automation name is only visible to the organizer.
What Do You Want to Happen?
- Select the event you would like to trigger with this automation. Only applicable events will be shown from the drop-down menu and only one type of event can be carried out with each automation. Multiple automations may be created and set to the same time in order to trigger different types of automations.
Missions (If you selected a “Set Mission Status…” event)
- Select the mission or missions that you would like included in this automation. If you accessed the Add Automation window from the Advanced Settings section of an individual mission, that mission will be included.
- While the game is live, a notification will be sent to players informing them of missions changing to, or from, Available status. Multiples missions automated to change status at the same time will be bundled into one notification, so no need to worry about your players being bombarded by notifications. Automate to your heart’s content!
Message (If you selected the “Send Message to All Participants” event)
- Enter the message that you would like to send to all players. A notification will be sent to players for each message.
After you set the overview tab, click next to go to the When It Happens tab. Here, you can set when this automation will trigger.
- Use this option to select a time relative to the start or end time of the game.
- Use this option to select a specific time that the automation will trigger. The time zone will correspond to the organizer’s location.
- A warning will notify you if mission status automations are set to trigger outside of a game’s start and end time. Automated messages will be sent to players even if the game is not live, as long as they have joined the game and still have the GooseChase app installed on their device.
Make sure to click the Create button in order to finalize the automation. Settings will not be saved if you close the Add Automation window without doing so.
Editing or Adding Missions to An Existing Automation
From the Game Script tab, you can select created automations from the timeline in order to add or remove missions, change any other settings, or delete the automation altogether.
If you access Add Automation from the Advanced Settings of a specific mission, you may choose to add the mission to an existing automation. You will be prompted with a list of existing automations that the mission can be added to. Select one and click Add to Automation in order to do so.